Sunday, August 14, 2011

The chicken pie recipe I'm actually going to make

Having posted the two recipes I plan to borrow from, here is the recipe I plan on making:

First off: Peas of the frozen, canned or fresh variety are verboten in my house. The only peas we buy are for use as ice packs. I eat peas (rarely) but only started that in my mid to late 40's. Byron does not/will not eat peas of any type in any dish. I really don't have a clue if Anthony or Felicia eat them as I don't believe they have ever been served a pea. If they have, it wasn't at our hose, that's for sure. We live in a pea free zone. So, I subbed fresh, chopped vegetables for the usual "frozen peas and carrots."

For the chicken pie for Byron and I, I will use the vegetables mentioned below (minus zucchini), Byron doesn't eat squash of any type. For the version I'm making for my friends, I'm putting in squash and will leave out peppers as they have non pepper eaters at their house. I'm making two 9x9 pans of chicken pie. One to take to my friends and one to stay here.

One last comment, it should go without saying that I will saute the garlic and onion in the butter at the beginning of the recipe. I will also probably add a bit of cayenne or red pepper flakes or California pepper from Penzeys to the version I'm keeping at home.

Chicken Pie a la Jan
serves 6 (so sayeth the recipes I plundered to come up with this version)

Filling:

1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon thyme
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1 3/4 cup chicken, cooked, and diced or torn
2 cups chopped fresh vegetables (carrots, celery, zucchini, peppers, onion)
1/4 cup frozen vegetables (California blend, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
1/3 cup frozen corn

Topping:
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 t (or to taste) Italian seasoning
pinch of garlic powder
salt and pepper

In a saucepan, combine butter, Bisquick, onion, pepper and thyme; bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil again, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add in the chicken and frozen vegetables. Mix thoroughly and take pan off of the heat.

Pour mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish. Make topping and place over pie. Bake 45 minutes or until crust is a light, golden brown.

I will add notes, and add WW Points Plus later

No comments:

Post a Comment