Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Beef with Broccoli

This recipe is one from a book my Uncle gave me for a gift over 10 years ago. Chinese Cookery by Rose Cheng & Michelle Morris, ISBN-89586-088-0. I've loved the recipes I've made from it and the techniques it shows.

The recipe says it serves 6. I think that's if it is part of a several-course Chinese meal or people with small appetites. Or a family of 2 adults and 2-3 small children. I have figured this at 4 servings, as part of an entire meal, served with rice.

6 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving.

Beef with Broccoli

2/3 lb. beef flank steak or other tender beef

Marinade:
1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry (I use Mirin)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar

1/2 lb. broccoli tops (I used part of a bag of broccoli tops from Costco)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/3 cup water
7 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I use 2 Tablespoons olive oil)
1 garlic clove crushed
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons chicken broth (today I used vegetable broth, it's what I had in the fridge)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Slice beef across grain and at an angle into thin strips.

2. Mix marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef strips, mix well. Let stand at least 30 minutes.

3. Dissolve cornstarch into water to make a paste, set aside (can add remaining sauce ingredients too, just makes it easier at the end).

4. Heat oil in wok over high heat, 1 minute. Add beef/marinade, stir-fry marinated beef about 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove beef, draining well over wok; set aside.

5. If necessary add oil to wok. Heat 30 seconds, stir fry garlic 30 seconds. Add broccoli tops. Stir fry 5 minutes. Add cornstarch paste, salt, soy sauce, broth and pepper. Stir fry till sauce thickens slightly. Add cooked beef, mix well. Remove from wok and serve.

We serve this with white rice. Also tonight we had Minh brand egg rolls and sweet & sour sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment